Yes - A visa is required for travel to Spain

Thursday, September 24, 2020

A visa is required to study in Spain for a period longer than 90 days.

The Consulate of Spain requires applicants to apply for Spanish visas directly, and a personal appearance may be necessary at the nearest Spanish Consulate. Travisa can help manage your in person filing and insure that the in person appearance is a success. Follow these instructions below.


Passport Requirements:

Original, signed passport valid for 6 months beyond stay in Spain, with at least one blank visa page available for Spanish student visa, plus one copy. Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for Spanish visas.


Spain Visa Application Form:

One original Spanish visa application form. After placing your order, fill out the application form included in your Visa Application Kit. For the visa validity, you must fill out numbers 21 (date of intended entry into Spain) and 28 on application form. The intended date of entry in Spain should not be over 10 days from the beginning of the studies. All the Student visas will be issued to start approximately 10 days prior to the first day of studies.


Photo Requirements:

One recent, identical, 2 x 2 passport photograph, in color, front view and with a plain/light background


Other Forms:

Proof of residencyPlease submit two copies of the following: US Driver’s License, US State ID, Voter’s Registration card or recent Student ID. Acceptance LetterOriginal and one copy of the Acceptance Letter from Spain’s University/School or US Program indicating: name, address, contact person, telephone and email of the school, full payment of tuition, dates of the program, subjects of study and hours of study per week (20 at least).


Criminal Record:

Criminal History Information/Police Background Check (Programs over 180 days). Must be verified by fingerprints. It cannot be older than 3 months from the application date. The certificate must be issued from either: a) State Department of Justice. Criminal History Information/Police Background Check (from all the States where applicant has lived during the past 5 years). Legalized with the Apostille of the Hague Convention by the corresponding Secretary of the State. 1 b) FBI Records, issued by the US Department of Justice – F.B.I. Legalized with the Apostille of the Hague Convention by the US Department of State in Washington DC. Local Police background check will not be accepted. You must also get a police record from the countries where you have lived during the last 5 years.


Applicants Under the Age of 18:

Notarized, written authorization of parents/custodians to travel abroad. Original minor’s Birth Certificate (issued in the last 12 months). The certificate should match both parents’ names. At least one parent with ID matching the name on the birth certificate needs to be present with the minor; the other absent parent must give notarized authorization to present parent to apply in his/her behalf.


Medical Requirements:

Medical Certificate (Programs over 180 days): A recent doctor’s statement (not older than 3 months on doctor’s or medical center’s letterhead) indicating that the applicant (identified by Passport’s First and Last name) has been examined and found free of any contagious diseases according to the International Health Regulation 2005’. Signed by a M.D.
Proof of valid health/accidental insurance with full international coverage showing minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros (approximately $50,000 US) and coverage for emergency medical expenses and repatriation for medical reasons or death.


Proof of Sufficient Funds:

Notarized letter of parents/custodians, assuming full financial responsibility for at least € 532/month (or its equivalent in USD), for room and board. Suggested wording: ‘I hereby certify that I the (father, mother, other) of (...), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of € 532/month (or its equivalent in USD) while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible for any emergency that may arise.


Special Instructions:

For programs over 180 days: You visa will be issued for 90 days with multiple entries. Once in Spain and no later than 30 days after applicant’s arrival in Spain, applicant must request a Student Card (Tarjeta de Estudiante) at the Subdelegación del Gobierno (Oficina de Extranjeros), which will allow to stay in the country for the duration of your solicited time, as well as travel in and out of the country. • Documents to be submitted when applying for a Student Card: - Original Medical Certificate - Original Criminal History Information/Police Background Check.


In Person Appearance:

The Consulate requires applicants to make a personal appearance to apply for this visa. These instructions are provided as a guide to help with this process. We recommend that you contact your nearest Consulate directly to confirm requirements and make an appointment to apply in person.

Visa Processing Time:

When consulates require an appointment, this may need to be scheduled as much as 4 to 6 weeks in advance because appointment times are limited and fill quickly. After the appointment, the visa processing time may take an additional 1 to 4 weeks. Therefore, it could take as long as an approximate 8 to 9 weeks from the time the student sends a request to Travisa, to when they receive the passport and visa back from the consulate.

Register your trip with the US Embassy:

The US State Department strongly encourages American citizens planning international travel to register with the US Embassy(s) in the countries they plan to visit. Registration notifies the US Embassy in each country of your travel plans and enrolls you in the State Department travel advisory and warnings program. Feel more secure about your international travels by having Travisa register your trip with the US Department of State; simply complete the form on your visa application kit after placing your order.